Sources in this library
- Snapshot: Cayman Islands Anti-Money Laundering Regulations (2023 Revision)
- Land Use And Property Rights: Lessons From The Cayman Islands Court Of Appeal's Britannia Decision
- An Uncertain Future? Assessing The Hong Kong Court's Reception Of Cayman Insolvency Proceedings
- Grand Court Grants Leave To Enforce A Foreign Interim Arbitration Award
- Cayman Islands Court Of Appeal Rules On Limited Partner Derivative Actions
- DCI Closes For Staff Function (March 2023)
- FATF Notes The Cayman Islands' Continuous Progress
Grand Court grants leave to enforce a foreign interim arbitration award
On 3 February 2023 the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands delivered a judgment in the matter of Nasser Sulaiman HM Al Haidar v Jetty Venkata Uma Mahewshawara Rao (FSD 328 OF 2022 (IKJ)) explaining its decision to grant leave to enforce an interim award made in the course of a foreign arbitration. Whilst the application was made ex parte, and dealt with on the papers without an oral hearing, Kawaley J nevertheless issued a full ruling setting out his reasons for the decision, there having been no published Cayman Islands case dealing with the enforceability of interim awards. The Court reiterated that the general approach of the Court to arbitral awards was pro-enforcement in keeping with the policy underlying the New York Convention, the expectation being that the majority of applications for leave to enforce would be straightforward and that the limited grounds upon which enforcement might be refused would be construed narrowly. Please see full Alert below for more information.
- A New Cryptocurrency Remedy Against Software Developers?
- Appleby Cayman Islands Regulatory Update ' Spring 2023